Have a technical problem? This page will help you find a solution.
Errors in Building Applications - helps you to interpret and understand error messages encountered while building apps
**Frequently Asked Troubleshooting Questions for Field Implementer**
- Demo Mode data that is submitted is tagged as “demo user” . This enables the server to filter out demo data as this is typically data submitted from training, or in practice mode. Note that any data submitted under demo mode will not help track real cases. Real data should be submitted after a user has logged into the application, and not in demo mode.
- No, usernames are not case sensitive.
- There are 20 main steps to setting up the phones prior to deployment. For detailed descriptions of these steps, please see your manual. You can also access http://confluencedimagi-dev.dimagiatlassian.comnet/wiki/display/commcarepublic/Homeif you have internet access
- Preparation: Steps 1-7
- Make sure all phones are charged
- Make sure all phones are labeled; inside and outside cover
- All phones need SIM and SD card
- Set up Internet Connectivity
- Set GPRS settings
- Set correct date/time
- Install Media Folder into SD card.
- User Friendly: Steps 8-12
- Ensure Volume is at its Maximum
- Undo text input Predictions
- Set Writing Language to Hindi
- Change phone Language to Hindi
- Menu Screen Blank
- Application Functioning: Steps 13-20
- Install application
- Move application to Games Folder, Turn phone off and then on again
- Set Application Permissions once Application is installed
- Test Network Connectivity once Application is installed
- Restore User
- Set Do Not Disturb settings on all phones: SMS ‘START 0’ to 1909
- Opt in all CommCare users to Dimagi Gateway; this allows them to receive messages from the CommCare server; SMS 'START to +917760962755
- Create Shortcut for Commcare, Open CommCare once after Shortcut is set.
Q: The Application Won’t Start at All, What Do I Do?
Q: How do I report Bugs about CommCare?
If that doesn't help, please contact the in-country Dimagi representative reporting the issue.
If he or she is not available, please send a bug report email to Dimagi at:
- email@example.com - For bugs found in CommCare HQ
- firstname.lastname@example.org - For bugs found in CommCare Mobile
Please write Please reach out to Support at email@example.com.
We recommend writing the email as follows:
- Use a meaningful title (for example, "Form fails to submit", as opposed to "Bug in form")
- In the body, include this information filled out:
- Short description: ...
- Bug reported by: ...
- Date and approximate time found: ...
- Specify the application: ...
- A CommCare application that contains multimedia files can only execute audio, image or video files if they are saved on the memory card. Images, and audio files will not play if the multimedia folder is stored on the local memory.
Q: Is there any way to restore any unsent data if the application was deleted?
Shortcuts may be changed by the FLWs or their families. You should train to not change the shortcut created. It is very important that after the shortcut is created, you must sign into the application once to set the shortcut.
** Troubleshooting for Health Care Worker**
Q: Why won’t my application open?
- You may receive an ‘Application Error’ message while CommCare is starting up. Quit the application and try to restart CommCare again. If this message appears again, please contact your Project Manager.
- If your screen remains frozen while ‘attempting to contact the server’ there may be a problem with connectivity. Try again in another area. This may also occur if your phone has zero balance. Dial *123# to hear your balance read to you. If balance is low, please contact your Project Manager.
- Any additional error messages preventing CommCare from opening should be evaluated by your Project Manager. Read the message carefully, try to remember any of the message, and write it down if possible.
Q: I can’t find my application.
- From the main phone screen, press the center button to open the menu page. Look for the Applications icon; the picture of 4 squares. Once you navigate to it (using the up/down/right/left buttons), press the center button to open Application (four squares image). Here you will see three options on the screen. Navigate downwards once and press the center button to enter the Games Folder; image if of a folder with a red and white square. In the Games Folder, look for the CommCare Icon; this image looks like a flower and will be white and blue Navigate to the CommCare icon and press the center button to open CommCare.
- If the CommCare icon is not present in your Games Folder, it may have been deleted. Please contact your Project Manager to re-install your application.
Q: I can’t move forward once I log into the application.
- If your screen remains frozen while ‘attempting to contact the server’ there may be a problem with connectivity. Try again in another area.
- This may also occur if your phone balance is too low. Dial *123# to hear your balance being read to you. If balance is below 5 rupees, please contact your Project Manager.
Q: I can’t move forward in the form.
- After answering the question, press the center button once. This will move you to the next question.
- If you answered the current question incorrectly a message will appear telling you how to correctly answer the question. Read the message, press the ‘back’ button located above the red button, correct your answer, then press the center button to move forward.
- If you are getting an error message, please read the message carefully, try to remember any of the words, and write it down if possible, and contact your Project Manager. Files may have been deleted from your phone or your application may be corrupt.
Q: My application is forcing me to quit, what can I do?
- If you are getting an error message, please read the message carefully, try to remember any of the words, and write it down if possible. Then, contact your Project Manager. Necessary files may have been deleted from your phone or your application may be corrupt.
Q: I keep getting long messages after each question, what can I do?
- Your permission settings may not be set properly. Please read the message carefully, try to remember any of the words, and write it down if possible. Then, contact your Project Manager.
Q: My phone is in English, how do I change it to another language?
- From the main screen, enter the menu page. Navigate to the settings icon and enter; this icon looks like a tool which is grey on top and has a blue handle. In the settings menu, navigate to the phone icon and enter; this icon looks like a mobile phone. Enter ‘Language Settings’ and change from English to, for example, Hindi. This will change the phones entire language from English to Hindi.
Q: I can only type in English, how do I change typing to Hindi?
- If you are trying to enter text input, you can change the language from English to Hindi by pressing the Hash button (#). There are four options; Capital English, lower case English, numbers, or Hindi. When you press the Hash button, you will see the language change on the very top of the screen. Keep pushing the Hash button until you see Hindi letter. Once you are down with the application, you should change the main writing language to Hindi.
Q: How can I create a shortcut?
- From the main screen, enter the menu page. Navigate to the settings icon and enter. In the settings menu, navigate to the ‘My shortcuts’ icon and enter. Navigate ‘Right selection Key’ and enter. Enter ‘Application List’ and chose CommCare. This will create a shortcut above the Right Red phone button.
Q: I noticed my date and time are incorrect. How can I change the date and time?
- It is very important to have the correct date and time on your phone. From the main screen, press the center button to enter the Menu page. Navigate to the Settings Icon and press enter; this icon looks like a tool with a grey top and blue handle. Navigate downwards 5 times to the icon ‘Date and Time’; this icon will look like a calendar and clock. Then press the center button when on ‘Date and Time.’ Then press center button again on ‘Date and Time Settings.’ Here you can edit the date and time.
Q: My phone keeps getting locked, how can I unlock my phone.
- If your phone is locked, a message will appear saying ‘press Unlock, followed by star button.’ Here, ‘Unlock’ refers to the center button. Therefore, to unlock the phone you must press the center button and then the star (*) button found on the bottom left of the keypad. You can also follow these steps to lock the phone.
Q: How can I change the lock settings on my phone?
- If you would like to disable the lock function follow these steps. From the main screen, press center button to enter the menu page. On the menu page navigate to the settings icon and press enter. In the settings menu, navigate to the phone icon and press enter. Navigate down three times to ‘automatic keyguard.’ Here you can turn the automatic keyguard on or off. If you turn the automatic keyguard On, you can set the delay time.
Q: My phone has no sound, how can I get sound?
- It is very important for your phone to be in General Profile and not Silent Profile. If your phone is in silent mode you will not be able to hear the audio prompts in the CommCare application. When the phone is in silent mode you will see an icon at the very top of the screen. This icon will look like a music note with a line over it. You can easily change this from the main screen. Unfortunately, you cannot change this while in the CommCare application. From the main screen, press the # button down for a few seconds. You will get a message “Activated Profile: General” and then the phone will have sound. When the message “Activated Profile: Silent” appears, the phone will not have sound. Make sure you are in ‘Profile: General’
Q: How do I turn up the volume on my phone?
- From the main screen, enter the menu page. Navigate to the ‘Media’ icon and enter; this image is a grey rectangle with a circle and green triangle. Be careful to not open the icon with the grey rectangle and pink music note. In the ‘Media’ menu, navigate to the ‘Media player’ icon and enter; this icon is a pink music note with a circle and green triangle on top of it. First option on screen says ‘Go to Media Player.’ Press enter on this option. Volume lines will appear on the bottom right of the screen. Press the ‘up’ button on the main keypad to increase volume bars. As you press up, you will see the lines light up green.
Q: What is Demo Mode and when should I use it?
- Demo Mode should be used for practice only. Any cases or data entered into Demo Mode will not be recorded as actual work.
- If you lose your memory card you must contact your Project Manager immediately.
- If images or audio are not showing, you should contact your Project Manager. This can lead to additional errors. Please try to remember which images or audio are missing when you speak with your Project Manager.
- Please contact your Project Manager to discuss balance and recharge phone.
Q: I lost my memory card, what do I do?
- If you lose your memory card you must contact your Project Manager immediately.
Q: Some of my images or audio are not showing?
If images or audio are not showing, you should contact your Project Manager. This can lead to additional errors. Please try to remember which images or audio are missing when you speak with your Project Manager
Q: I am out of balance, what can I do?
Please contact your Project Manager to discuss balance and recharge phone.
|Still have a question?
If you still cannot solve your technical issue with the information on the CommCare Help Site, please do the following: